Active Substance: Cefuroxime
US Brand: Ceftin / Zinacef
Indian Brand: CEFASYN
Form release: blister 4 pills
Pregnancy: No known risks
Alcohol: No known interactions with light drinking
Drug class: Antibiotics
Shipping time: 9 – 18 days
Cefuroxime belongs to the cephalosporin antibiotics II generation.
Cefuroxime is active against a broad spectrum of pathogens, including strains producing β-lactamase.
The bactericidal action of cefuroxime is associated with the suppression of bacterial cell wall synthesis.
Cefuroxime, indications for use
Bacterial infections caused by susceptible microorganisms to cefuroxime:
– Respiratory diseases (bronchitis, pneumonia, lung abscess, empyema);
– Upper respiratory tract (sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis, otitis media);
– Urinary tract infections (pyelonephritis, cystitis, asymptomatic bacteriuria);
– Skin and soft tissues (erysipelas, pyoderma, impetigo, furunculosis, cellulitis, wound infection, pseudoerysipelas);
– Bones and joints (osteomyelitis, septic arthritis);
– Pelvic organs (endometritis, adnexitis, cervicitis);
– Lyme disease (Lyme disease);
– Prevention of infectious complications in thoracic organs operations, abdomen, pelvis, joints (including the operations in the lungs, heart, esophagus, in vascular surgery at high risk of infectious complications, orthopedic surgery).
Hypersensitivity to cefuroxime (including to other. Cephalosporins, penicillins and carbapenems).
the neonatal period, prematurity, chronic renal failure, bleeding and gastrointestinal disease (including a history of ulcerative colitis), weakened and depleted patients, pregnancy, lactation period, simultaneous application of aminoglycosides, “loop” diuretics.
Dosing and Administration
Intravenous and intramuscular adults appoint 0.75 g three times a day; in infections of heavy current – increase the dose up to 1.5 g 3-4 times a day (if necessary, the interval between doses can be reduced to 6 hours). The average daily dose – 3-6 g
Children older than 3 months appoint 30-100 mg / kg / day in 3-4 administration. In most infections optimum dose is 60 mg / kg / day.
Babies and children up to 3 months is prescribed 30 mg / kg / day in 2-3 administration.
In gonorrhea – intramuscularly, adult 1.5 g once (in the form of two injections of 0.75 g of the introduction in different areas, for example in both gluteal muscle).
In bacterial meningitis – intravenous, adults – 3 g every 8 hours; children younger and older – 150-250 mg / kg / day in 3-4 introduction, newborn – 100 mg / kg / day in 2-3 administration.
For the prevention of postoperative complications:
– During heart surgery, lung, esophagus and blood vessels – IV, 1.5 g of 0,5 – 1 hour before surgery and 0.75 g intramuscularly or intravenously every 8 hours during long operations over the next 24 – 48 hours (in the open operations heart total dose 6 g);
– The operations in the abdomen, pelvis and orthopedic surgery – IV, 1.5 g at induction of anesthesia, then further – intramuscularly 0.75 g, at 8 and 16 hours after surgery;
-at total joint replacement – 1.5 g of powder are dry mixed with each packet methyl methacrylate polymer cement prior to adding the liquid monomer.
When pneumonia – intramuscularly or intravenously, for 1.5 g of 2-3 times a day for 48-72 h, then move on ingestion (using dosage forms for oral administration) in 0.5 g of 2 times a day for 7-10 days.
During exacerbation of chronic bronchitis administered intramuscularly or intravenously at 0.75 g 2-3 times a day for 48-72 hours, then move on ingestion (use dosage forms for oral administration) of 0.5 g 2 times a day for 5 -10 days.
In chronic renal failure require correction dosing regimen in adults: for creatinine clearance (CC) 10-20 ml / min administered intravenously or intramuscularly to 0.75 g 2 times a day, with CC less than 10 ml / min – at 0.75 g 1 per day .
In chronic renal failure in children dosing regimen it should be changed in accordance with the recommendations for adults.
Patients who are on continuous hemodialysis using a high speed in the ICU arteriovenous shunt or hemofiltration, appoint 0.75 g 2 times a day; for patients who are at low speed hemofiltration, prescribed dose recommended under impaired renal function.